Wednesday, August 6, 2008

We Don't Like Romance

Been a little while since I update. Got told off on Saturday night for not updating enough.

Been listening to a bunch of stuff I used to ages and ages ago (or so it seems). Just started listening to The Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere after a long time, and it is actually still a fucking rad record. Lo-fi, low mixed vocals, catchy as hell. Just awesome.

Sussed a record by a band called Black Lungs called Send Flowers, and I have to say it has actually pushed me harder to want to do my own solo music/band/project.
I have actually been talking about this for a couple years now, I plan to record it and release it myself, hopefully play a couple shows and try to find some skerrick of talent in these old hands. The idea is this: Rewrite and record a handful of covers by some of my favourite artists (mostly female at this stage) such as PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, Feist, etc... and record them using mostly the meager instruments around the house (which include: a tiny 15 watt amp, an old Ibanez SG copy, a fairly decent acoustic guitar, an out of tune piano and my Shure beta 58) and then put it out on some format or another. Maybe I'll just do it digitally, or sell whats left of my small record collection and put it on a 7".

It will be called "Versions" and it will be what it is. Whatever that might be...


Been playing interstate a bit lately, and when I have been away, been missing my chick like crazy, so I'm gonna re-work how I play interstate, to make sure I stay siked and that I an suss a family. But I am going to Perth this weekend, which should rule. Gonna play some good shows, drink some amazing coffee, see my mates new baby and just generally hang tough!

Also been listening to the new Carpathian record, Isolation, flat out. Such a well written record, and Marty has pretty much done everything I have wanted to do with an album, so I am both siked and jealous as hell. hahahaha.

The new Norma Jean album is also killing it for me right now. Heavy and melodic and well written. Good music is coming left, right and centre at the moment. Once the Hopeless album drops, I can take the next year off from music. hahaha.

Other than that, life is good, friends are good, the dogs are awesome and my wife makes the best corn flake crackles ever!

Stay gold kids.
xclagx.

No comments: